Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Chicken or the Egg

I got a package in the mail a few weeks ago, of significant size and implied importance.  It momentarily reminded me of being back at work when packages I received were always significant and my responsive action of financial implication.  This package turned out to be no different.
"Dear PHTony,
Your prescription for Ventavis (Iloprost) comes with helpful this and some more helpful that.  This program is brought to you from ------ Pharmaceuticals (wasn't that the same company in The Fugitive ?).  As your doctor explained..."
OK I know I'm a bit forgetful now a days, but I don't recall any explaining and certainly don't recall a new prescription.  The King & I have only agreed that this would be the next step should I suffer any degradation.  As a matter of fact, my last visit ended with an appointment for an echo & my appointment two weeks ago was to go over the results.  
The next morning I awaken to the cursed sound of our telephone.  I get up to answer (which isn't really a quick process anymore) but can't reach the phone in time.  The message was left by the King's assistant.  Time to call back and shine some light on the prior day's mail.  Well it turns out that Devlin Macgregor....um I mean ---- Pharmaceuticals has a rep in their office right now who would be willing to demonstrate their product if I would just hop, skip, and jump across town to their office.  Apparently an egg had hatched before we even saw the chicken.  I'm sure the King's court has nothing but my best interest in mind...um OK I'm not convinced.  
I politely (I think) tell them that I'll have to pass.  After all, aren't we missing a certain KEY part of this equation (the part where we review the echo results, then I actually get counseled by the King & then get prescribed a medication).  We don't even know the results of the echo yet, and there hasn't been any decrease in cardio function.  Doesn't the chicken come first?
Update: I went to the King's follow up appointment to discuss the echo results, only they didn't have the results (good thing my co-pay's only $50...).  Being a straight-A student of hindsight, I had a good book to keep me company while I waited for the results to be faxed over.  While we wait, I grill him on the chicken/egg issue.  After witnessing his apology I kinda felt sorry for the guy.  It's obvious that neither the chicken nor the egg come first; it's the carton...
The King receives the results but unfortunately they were coded in chicken scratch.  The King can't decipher the numbers and I can't tell a chicken from an egg.  So he tells me he'll call the Ricola guy (you know, the guy that gives the echo :-) and call me back.  That was almost two weeks ago.  I don't know how this is going to turn out, but Ole McDonald has some explaining to do.  

4 comments:

The Truth said...

Dude,

I think your king is nekkid.

When was your last RHC? Echos are lousy for lots of reasons.

Anonymous said...

Clooney...
Are you serious??
I know you said he mentioned Ventavis but was waiting to discuss results...(RICOOLA..LOL)

Man..do they have issues in that office or what?? You tell them to get their sh** together and that you are King!!

Glad you are back blogging..love your stories!!

BTW..I will stay myself..just a little more vocal;))LOL

Hugs,
Jen

Colleen said...

I am glad to see you writing again, because you sure do tell the best stories!

I hope everything gets figured out, because that is an expensive medicine to be approving and sending out when it wasn't even fully discussed that you'd be on it. I'd be aggravated myself!!!!

Hugs,
Colleen :)

TW(Terry) said...

Hey Buddy,
Glad to hear from ya. Sounds to me that you need to let the King know that he CAN be beheaded if he doesn't get his reign back into proper order of rule. Sounds like his court has fallen into grounds for deliberate consideration. (short term: he needs to get his shit together) Good to hear from you and know your doing OK. If you do the ventavis thingy I hope it works for you, didn't do crap for me. Talk to ya soon

Terry (TW)