Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Twas the Week Before Christmas

Twas the week before Christmas and all through the city,
The shopping deadline was near and I was not done; what a pity.
My cannula was hung on my ears with care,
In hopes that O2 goodness soon would be there.
The traffic was daunting and the singers were harking,
I laughed at the madness and pulled into my favorite handicap parking.
The store was lit like the sun in the sky,
Of course I had the medical side effect: spots in my eyes.
The shoppers were scurrying, this way and that.
But they made way for me as I wore my SOB hat.
I had just begun shopping when I heard such a clatter,
I peaked into an aisle to see what was the matter.
Away down the isle I flew like a turtle,
A stack of unshelved products in the way, just a hurdle.
I landed without grace, dignity, or honor,
You see I face planted into the butt of a reindeer called Donner.
Off Dasher, off Dancer, off Prancer, off Vixen,
The holiday decoration sure needed fixin.
I came to my senses, my cannula askew,
How to save face? What to do?
I needn't have worried, my honor intact,
I looked down the isle; the situation was jacked.
Two couples were arguing over the last toy on a shelf,
Their kids were dressed up as an angel and elf.
The boy with long ears, the girl with her wings,
They smiled at each other as their parents argued over things.
The adults had faces full of anger and stress,
Who better than I to help them out of this mess?
So I headed their way with a smile full of charm,
I would do a good deed; what's the harm?
I forgot to mention that I'd dressed up as well,
My costume was laden with holly and bells.
I interrupted the couple, their behavior outrageous, 
I gave them a smile I hoped would be contagious.
I commented on why I loved Christmas, all remembrance and giving.
How much I loved Christmas when my parents were living.
I looked at the children, quite content in their glee.
Then back at the parents with a nod and a plea.
The parents made up, their tiff didn't last.
Saved by the ghost of my Christmas past.
They replaced the last toy and looked for another,
Something else that would satisfy sister and brother.
I felt quite happy and proud of myself,
Knowing that Oreo would enjoy...the last toy on the shelf.

7 comments:

TW(Terry) said...

Laffin....you never cease to amaze me my great friend. I loved the poem. I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Be safe over the holidays.

Terry(TW)

Nancy said...

Excellent! You definitely have a knack for writing a rhyme.

Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year.

Colleen said...

I see you came up with something to write about!! Great job as always, I loved it!!

Hugs,
Colleen :)

Anonymous said...

LOL..What a story:)Loved it:)
Hope you and the family have a very Merry Christmas and be safe out there..Miss ya in chat..

Hugs,
Jen

Cathy said...

And Merry Xmas to all and to all a good night! I just love it.
Best Xmas wishes to you and your family :)

Annette said...

Tony, you are absolutely amazing!! How do you do it? Your writing is something that should be published, honestly! Excellent, excellent, excellent! Thank you so much for sharing your talent.
Annette

Merle said...

You're a poet -- I hope you know it. Can't wait to the the night before the night before Christmas.

Merry Christmas my phriend.

Merle
And smile it iscontagious